Firefly Press is proud to be among the 39 founding signatories to the Publishers Association’s Publishing Declares sustainability pledge.
The purpose of Publishing Declares is to raise awareness of the sustainability issues most relevant to the UK book and journal publishing industry; to aid the discovery of existing tools and resources and to inspire action that results in sustained behaviour change.
Co-founder and publisher of Firefly Press Penny Thomas said: “At Firefly we want to produce our books sustainably, and keep telling stories that will help and inspire in the urgent battle to protect our world. Climate change, use of resources and biodiversity loss are challenges we all face, which is why it’s so positive that organisations like The Publisher’s Association are supporting publishers large and small to take action.”
The signatories pledge to:
- Join the global climate effort to limit warming to 1.5°C by setting ambitious, measurable targets across our own operations and extended supply chain to achieve net zero as soon as possible and by 2050 at the latest.
- Protect nature and biodiversity, working with supply chain partners that are resource efficient, use sustainable materials and processes wherever possible in the content we produce, and constantly innovating to make use of new and recycled materials.
- Collaborate with our peers, authors, illustrators, supply chain partners, and business partners to translate our climate aspirations and commitments into tangible actions to safeguard our planet for future generations.
- Empower our colleagues to become climate literate and support them to bring that knowledge into the work that they do.
- Use our expertise, platform, and voice to raise awareness and drive positive climate action wherever we can.
To find out more and join the Pledge, visit the Publishers Association website.